Australian Tennis Star Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Positive Cocaine Test!

Reported by Weng Patrick Atokor | Journalist at Weng Global

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive for cocaine during an ATP tournament in Mallorca, Spain, in June 2026.

The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) confirmed the suspension on Wednesday, August 19, after a sample provided by the 31-year-old former Wimbledon finalist was found to contain benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. The substance is prohibited in competition under the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) rules.

The development represents another major setback for Kyrgios, whose career in recent years has been heavily affected by injuries and limited time on court. The Australian has now acknowledged the anti-doping violation, describing the incident as a “huge mistake” and accepting responsibility for his actions.

Kyrgios tested positive in Mallorca

According to reports, Kyrgios provided the sample on June 22 while competing at the ATP 250 tournament in Mallorca.

A WADA-accredited laboratory subsequently confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine in the sample on July 17. Following the confirmation of the positive result, the ITIA imposed a provisional suspension that took effect on August 4.

The suspension means Kyrgios is currently prohibited from competing in, training for or participating in official tennis events covered by the sport’s governing bodies while the provisional measure remains in place.

The ITIA’s action does not, however, represent the conclusion of the entire disciplinary process. Kyrgios has the right to challenge the provisional suspension, although reports indicate that he has not appealed it.

Cocaine is classified under anti-doping regulations as a substance of abuse and is prohibited in competition. The circumstances surrounding its use can be relevant when determining the eventual consequences under the applicable rules.

Kyrgios accepts responsibility

Following the announcement, Kyrgios addressed the situation publicly and offered an apology to those affected by the development.

The Australian admitted that he had made a serious mistake and said he accepted full responsibility. He apologised to his fans, family, sponsors and young supporters who look up to him.

Kyrgios also indicated that his recent struggles had played a role in his state of mind. The tennis star has endured repeated physical setbacks, including significant injuries and surgeries, while spending long periods away from competitive tennis.

He described the physical and emotional challenges of dealing with injuries and the possibility of his professional career approaching its final stages.

Rather than appeal the provisional suspension at this stage, Kyrgios said he intends to step away from public life for 28 days to focus on his personal recovery and wellbeing.

A difficult period for Kyrgios

The positive test comes at a particularly difficult point in Kyrgios’ career.

Once regarded as one of the most naturally gifted and unpredictable players on the ATP Tour, Kyrgios has struggled to maintain regular competitive activity because of injuries.

His career has included major achievements, including reaching the Wimbledon final in 2022 and climbing as high as world No. 13 in 2016. He has also won seven ATP singles titles.

However, injuries to his wrist and knee have significantly restricted his participation in recent seasons. Reports indicate that he had played only a handful of singles matches in 2026 before the Mallorca tournament.

At Wimbledon earlier this year, Kyrgios also made an appearance in the men’s doubles, but his participation highlighted the uncertainty surrounding his future in professional tennis.

The latest development therefore comes as another blow to a player who has already faced considerable questions about whether he can return to sustained competition.

What the suspension means

The provisional suspension immediately prevents Kyrgios from taking part in official tennis activities covered by the relevant anti-doping and tennis integrity rules.

However, it is important to distinguish a provisional suspension from a final sanction.

A provisional suspension is imposed while an anti-doping case proceeds. Further steps can determine whether additional disciplinary action is required and what final penalty, if any, will apply.

Kyrgios remains entitled to the procedural rights available under the applicable rules, including the possibility of challenging the suspension.

The case could therefore develop further in the coming weeks depending on whether he chooses to appeal and how the disciplinary process progresses.

Impact on Kyrgios’ future

The case could have significant consequences for Kyrgios beyond the immediate suspension.

At 31, the Australian is already attempting to rebuild his career after several injury-hit seasons. A prolonged absence could make it even more difficult for him to regain his previous level and ranking position.

Kyrgios has also built a prominent profile away from traditional tennis competition, including work in broadcasting and commentary. His outspoken personality and high public profile have made him one of the most recognisable Australian players of his generation.

The positive cocaine test is therefore likely to generate scrutiny both within tennis and among the wider sporting public.

For the moment, however, Kyrgios’ own focus appears to be on stepping away from the spotlight and addressing the personal difficulties he says contributed to his mistake.

A setback at a crucial moment

Kyrgios’ provisional suspension adds a new and serious chapter to a career that has frequently attracted headlines for both his remarkable talent and controversies away from the court.

The Australian has accepted responsibility for the positive test and apologised publicly, while the ITIA’s disciplinary process remains ongoing.

His decision to take a 28-day break from public life suggests that he intends to use the period away from competition to focus on his recovery and determine his next steps.

Whether Kyrgios can eventually return to professional tennis will depend not only on the outcome of the anti-doping proceedings but also on his physical condition and willingness to continue competing.

For now, the former Wimbledon finalist faces an uncertain future after a positive cocaine test has temporarily halted his return to the sport.

Sources: Reuters; International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA); Al Jazeera; The Guardian; ABC News Australia; Sky Sports.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *