FIFA Parts Ways With COO Kevin Lamour After Public Clash Over Infantino’s World Cup Investment Plan!

Reported Simon Daniel Yusuph l journalist at wengglobal

FIFA has ended its employment relationship with Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour, days after the senior executive publicly criticised President Gianni Infantino’s controversial proposal to open part of the football governing body’s commercial business to private investors.

The departure of Lamour, one of the most senior officials within FIFA’s administration, marks a significant escalation in the internal fallout surrounding Infantino’s abandoned commercial restructuring plan. The development has attracted international attention because Lamour had been a close professional associate of Infantino and had previously served in senior roles within European football administration.

FIFA confirmed that Lamour’s employment relationship with the organisation ended on August 17, 2026, but did not publicly disclose detailed reasons for his departure. International reports, however, have linked the development directly to the criticism Lamour levelled against Infantino’s proposed investment structure.

Reuters reported that Lamour left FIFA after publicly opposing Infantino’s proposal to sell a stake in the organisation’s commercial rights business. The report said Lamour had described the initiative as deceptive and self-serving, while his departure came amid growing opposition to the plan from senior football officials and confederations. 

The Guardian similarly reported that the FIFA chief operating officer was removed after speaking out against the plan to sell part of the World Cup’s commercial future to private investors. 

Lamour’s Public Rebuke of Infantino

The dispute became public on July 31, when Lamour issued unusually strong criticism of the proposed commercial restructuring.

According to the Associated Press report published by Al Jazeera, Lamour said FIFA employees had been “deceived” over the plan and argued that the project should not proceed. He also suggested that FIFA’s leadership needed to reconsider the initiative and take appropriate decisions concerning its future. 

Lamour’s intervention was notable because he was not an external critic or former official. He was FIFA’s chief operating officer, occupying one of the most senior positions within its administration.

His remarks also carried additional weight because of his previous professional relationship with Infantino.

Lamour had worked with Infantino during their years in European football administration and was appointed FIFA chief operating officer in November 2024. FIFA’s official announcement at the time said Lamour would oversee several important administrative areas, including audit and advisory, communications, finance, legal and compliance, member associations, people, technology and operations, professional football relations and development, as well as social responsibility and education. 

His decision to publicly challenge the president therefore represented a major break with the normally disciplined communication structure of an international sports governing body.

The Controversial FIFA Forward Enterprise Proposal

At the centre of the dispute was Infantino’s proposal to establish a new commercial entity, reportedly known as FIFA Forward Enterprise.

The proposed structure was designed to manage commercial assets linked to FIFA competitions, including the World Cup and other major tournaments, while allowing private investors to acquire a minority stake.

Reports placed the proposed valuation of the new company at around $20 billion, with private investors potentially acquiring approximately 20 per cent.

The proposal generated intense opposition from several sections of the international football community.

According to the Associated Press, the plan involved selling stakes in future World Cup profits to private equity investors. FIFA eventually withdrew the proposal following resistance from football organisations and senior figures within the governing body. 

The scale of the proposed transaction made it considerably more than a routine corporate restructuring.

The World Cup is FIFA’s most commercially valuable property and provides the financial foundation for many of the organisation’s programmes, including development funding distributed to member associations.

Consequently, any proposal involving the commercial rights and future revenues of the tournament was bound to attract scrutiny from national associations, continental confederations and other stakeholders.

Opposition From Football Confederations

The controversy escalated as several major confederations expressed opposition to the proposal.

The Guardian and Reuters reported that opposition emerged from powerful football bodies, including UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF. 

UEFA’s resistance was particularly significant because it represents 55 European national associations and controls some of the world’s most commercially valuable football competitions.

The opposition raised concerns about the governance of FIFA’s commercial assets and the implications of transferring part of the economic value associated with future World Cups to private investors.

The proposal was eventually abandoned by Infantino after the backlash intensified.

The Associated Press reported that Infantino withdrew the plan following widespread resistance from major football organisations and internal dissent. 

For FIFA, the withdrawal represented a major political setback for a proposal that had been presented as a potential mechanism for expanding commercial revenues and investment in global football.

Lamour’s Departure Deepens the Crisis

Lamour’s exit now adds another dimension to the controversy.

His departure follows the resignation of another senior figure, Carlos Cordeiro, who also opposed the proposed commercial restructuring.

The Associated Press reported that Cordeiro resigned as an adviser to Infantino while criticising the plan. His departure, combined with Lamour’s public opposition, demonstrated that resistance was not limited to external stakeholders. 

The significance of Lamour’s departure is heightened by the fact that he had been part of Infantino’s wider administrative structure.

Rather than simply being a disagreement between FIFA leadership and external critics, the dispute exposed divisions within the organisation itself.

Sky News reported that FIFA did not comment on the terms of Lamour’s departure but confirmed that the senior executive had left after criticising Infantino’s plan. The broadcaster described Lamour as a longtime colleague of the FIFA president. 

The National also reported that Lamour had accused FIFA staff of being deceived over the abandoned commercial initiative. 

A Career Built Within European Football

Lamour’s departure is also notable because of his long career in football administration.

Before joining FIFA, he spent many years at UEFA, European football’s governing body.

FIFA announced his appointment as chief operating officer in November 2024, describing him as a highly respected football administrator with nearly two decades of experience. The organisation said he had previously served as UEFA’s deputy general secretary after joining the European governing body in 2007. 

His professional history also included working closely with major figures in European football, including Infantino during Infantino’s earlier career.

L’Équipe described Lamour as one of FIFA’s most senior executives and noted that he had spent more than two decades working within the upper levels of football administration. 

That background makes his confrontation with Infantino particularly significant.

It was not the intervention of a recently appointed outsider unfamiliar with FIFA’s internal workings. It came from a senior administrator with extensive experience in international football governance.

Questions Over Governance and Transparency

The controversy has also revived broader questions about governance within FIFA.

Infantino has led FIFA since 2016 and has overseen significant commercial expansion of the organisation. His administration has also pursued new revenue-generating strategies and expanded several major competitions.

Supporters of such strategies argue that FIFA needs to continue innovating commercially to generate resources for football development across its 211 member associations.

Critics, however, have questioned the transparency and decision-making processes surrounding some of the president’s initiatives.

Lamour’s criticism focused heavily on the manner in which the proposed commercial venture was developed and communicated to FIFA staff.

His description of the initiative as a project driven by one individual, reported by several international outlets, turned an internal disagreement into a public governance issue. 

The controversy consequently goes beyond the fate of one executive.

It raises questions about how major commercial decisions are developed within FIFA, the extent to which senior administrators participate in those decisions and how much institutional oversight exists around projects involving the organisation’s most valuable assets.

Implications for Infantino

The episode also comes at a politically sensitive period for Infantino.

His leadership has faced growing scrutiny following the collapse of the investment proposal, while opposition from influential football bodies has complicated the political environment surrounding his future leadership.

Reuters reported that the controversy has created uncertainty around Infantino’s position ahead of the next FIFA presidential election in 2027. 

The president remains a powerful figure within global football, and the collapse of one commercial initiative does not automatically translate into a leadership crisis.

Nevertheless, the combination of opposition from major confederations, resignations by senior figures and the departure of a top executive represents a significant challenge for FIFA’s leadership.

The immediate political question is whether Infantino can rebuild consensus within the organisation and among its major stakeholders.

What Happens Next at FIFA?

With the FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal abandoned, attention is likely to shift toward how the governing body intends to pursue future commercial growth.

FIFA remains one of the world’s most financially powerful sports organisations, and the commercial value of the World Cup continues to grow.

The challenge will be finding investment and revenue models that satisfy FIFA’s financial objectives while retaining the confidence of member associations and confederations.

For the organisation, rebuilding trust may be as important as developing another commercial strategy.

The controversy has demonstrated that major changes involving World Cup-related revenues can generate opposition if stakeholders believe they have not been sufficiently consulted or informed.

FIFA’s leadership will therefore face pressure to demonstrate that future commercial initiatives are subject to appropriate institutional processes and stakeholder engagement.

Wengglobal Analysis

Kevin Lamour’s departure represents one of the most consequential personnel developments inside FIFA in recent months.

The circumstances surrounding his exit are particularly significant because his public criticism came from within the organisation’s senior leadership and focused on one of Infantino’s most ambitious commercial initiatives.

FIFA has confirmed the end of Lamour’s employment relationship but has not publicly characterised the departure as a disciplinary dismissal. International reports, however, have consistently connected his exit with the dispute surrounding the abandoned investment proposal. 

For wengglobal, the distinction is important.

Journalistically, it is more accurate to say FIFA ended its employment relationship with Lamour or that Lamour left FIFA following his criticism, rather than asserting without qualification that he was formally “sacked” as punishment for his comments.

What is not in dispute is that Lamour publicly challenged the president’s commercial strategy and subsequently left the organisation.

The episode exposes the delicate balance between executive authority, institutional governance and commercial ambition within global sport.

FIFA has enormous financial responsibilities to its member associations and invests billions of dollars into football development. Any major restructuring of its commercial assets therefore carries consequences extending far beyond its headquarters in Zurich.

Lamour’s case also highlights the importance of institutional dissent.

Senior officials who disagree with major decisions must be able to raise legitimate concerns through appropriate channels, while organisations must retain the authority to make final decisions.

The credibility of such institutions depends partly on whether those competing responsibilities can coexist.

For Infantino, the immediate task will be to stabilise the organisation after the failed investment initiative and the departure of senior figures who challenged it.

For FIFA, the broader challenge is to demonstrate that future commercial decisions are developed through transparent, credible and inclusive governance processes.

As the football world moves toward another major electoral cycle, the fallout from the abandoned FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal is unlikely to disappear quickly.

The episode has already become a significant test of Infantino’s leadership and FIFA’s institutional culture.

And for global football, the central question is no longer simply how much money can be generated from the world’s most valuable sporting property, but how decisions over that money should be made, who should participate in them and how accountable FIFA’s leadership must remain to the football community it represents.

Sources

  • Reuters — reported Kevin Lamour’s departure from FIFA following his public criticism of Infantino’s commercial rights proposal. 
  • The Guardian — reported that FIFA’s chief operating officer left after opposing Infantino’s proposed World Cup investment plan. 
  • Associated Press (AP) — reported Lamour’s criticism of the proposed investment structure and the wider fallout surrounding Infantino’s plan. 
  • Sky News — reported FIFA’s decision to end its relationship with Lamour and the circumstances surrounding his criticism of Infantino. 
  • Al Jazeera — reported Lamour’s July 31 criticism, including his assertion that FIFA staff had been deceived over the proposed World Cup commercial restructuring. 
  • The National — reported Lamour’s departure and his criticism of the proposed investment initiative. 
  • FIFA — official announcement of Lamour’s appointment as Chief Operating Officer in November 2024 and details of his responsibilities. 
  • L’Équipe — provided background on Lamour’s career and his position as one of FIFA’s senior administrators. 

Tags

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *