Wike Orders Demolition of Houses Built on Waterways After FCT Flooding!

Reported by Weng Patrick Atokor | Journalist at Weng Global

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered the immediate demolition of houses and other structures built on designated waterways in Abuja following renewed flooding in parts of the nation’s capital.

Wike issued the directive on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, after inspecting areas affected by flooding in Maitama and other parts of Abuja. He warned that the FCT Administration would no longer tolerate developments that obstruct natural or designated water channels.

The minister said the demolition exercise would begin immediately and continue through Saturday, with officials of the FCT Development Control Department directed to identify and remove structures obstructing waterways.

The directive comes after torrential rainfall triggered flooding in several parts of Abuja, raising renewed concerns about drainage systems, urban planning and the construction of buildings in areas designated for the movement of stormwater.

According to reports by Punch, Wike specifically ordered the removal of houses constructed directly on designated water channels, arguing that such structures contribute to the blockage of waterways and increase the risk of flooding.

Wike: No One Will Be Spared

Wike said the government would not make exceptions for property owners because of their political influence, wealth or social status.

The minister disclosed that some of the properties identified as obstructing waterways belonged to senators and other influential Nigerians.

He insisted that the government would proceed with the demolition of structures found to be sitting on approved water channels, regardless of who owns them.

Reports from The Guardian quoted Wike as warning that political pressure would not stop the exercise, stressing that any property found to be obstructing a water channel would be removed.

The minister’s position reflects the FCT Administration’s argument that enforcement of Abuja’s planning regulations is necessary to protect lives and property, particularly in areas vulnerable to flooding.

Demolition to Begin Immediately

Wike directed the relevant FCT authorities to commence enforcement immediately.

According to TheCable, the minister gave the directive after inspecting flood-affected locations in Maitama and said the demolition would continue until Saturday.

The move is expected to target structures identified by authorities as having encroached on waterways or drainage channels.

Reports later indicated that demolition had already commenced in parts of Maitama following the minister’s directive.

The administration’s action is expected to intensify scrutiny of property developments in Abuja, particularly those located around drainage corridors, flood plains and other areas reserved for water passage.

Flooding Renews Abuja Planning Debate

The latest flooding has also reignited debate over Abuja’s urban planning system and the enforcement of development regulations.

While the FCT Administration has blamed obstruction of waterways by buildings and other structures for worsening flood conditions in some locations, critics have questioned whether authorities have adequately enforced planning rules before properties were constructed.

Flooding is not a new challenge in the Federal Capital Territory. Several parts of Abuja have experienced serious flooding in previous years, with communities such as Trademore Estate, Lokogoma and other flood-prone locations repeatedly affected.

A situation-tracking report by the West Africa Network for Peacebuilding previously identified weak implementation of urban planning laws, inadequate flood prevention measures and development along waterways and drainage channels among factors contributing to flood risks in parts of Nigeria, including the FCT.

The history of flooding in Abuja means the latest demolition order is likely to generate further discussion about the balance between enforcing planning regulations and protecting residents who may have acquired properties through formal channels.

Government Faces Pressure to Act

The minister’s directive also comes amid growing public concern over the impact of flooding on residents, businesses and infrastructure.

Flooding can disrupt transportation, damage homes and vehicles, affect commercial activities and expose communities to health and safety risks.

For the FCT Administration, clearing waterways is therefore being presented as part of a broader effort to improve flood management and prevent further obstruction of water channels.

Wike’s decision to target properties owned by influential individuals could also test the government’s willingness to apply planning rules consistently.

The minister has maintained that enforcement should not be selective and that the status of a property owner should not determine whether a structure violating planning regulations remains standing.

What the Demolition Means for Abuja Residents

The immediate implication is that property owners whose buildings are confirmed to have been constructed on designated waterways could face demolition.

Residents in flood-prone areas may also see increased enforcement of planning and environmental regulations as authorities attempt to restore drainage routes and improve the movement of stormwater.

However, the exercise could create concerns for residents whose homes are affected, particularly where there are disputes over approvals, land allocation or the interpretation of designated waterways.

This makes transparent identification of affected properties and proper communication with residents important as the government proceeds with the exercise.

The government will also face expectations to address broader causes of flooding beyond demolition, including drainage capacity, waste disposal, urban expansion and the preservation of natural water channels.

A Wider Test for Abuja’s Master Plan

The latest action represents more than a demolition exercise. It is also a test of how effectively Abuja’s development regulations are being implemented.

The FCT was designed with designated areas for roads, drainage systems, green spaces and other public infrastructure. When such spaces are converted or obstructed, the consequences can become more severe during periods of heavy rainfall.

Wike’s order signals that the FCT Administration intends to take a tougher approach toward developments considered to be violating the city’s planning framework.

The challenge will be ensuring that enforcement is carried out fairly, transparently and in accordance with the law while also providing effective flood-control infrastructure.

For Abuja residents, the immediate priority remains safety as authorities respond to the latest flooding.

With the demolition exercise scheduled to continue through Saturday, attention will now turn to the number of structures affected, the identities of property owners involved and whether the government’s action will reduce flooding risks in vulnerable parts of the capital.

The development also places renewed emphasis on the need for responsible urban planning as Abuja continues to expand.

Ultimately, clearing waterways may help restore natural drainage routes, but long-term flood prevention will require sustained enforcement of planning regulations, adequate drainage infrastructure, responsible waste management and protection of designated water channels.

Wike’s latest directive therefore marks a significant escalation in the FCT government’s response to flooding and illegal development, with the administration making clear that structures obstructing waterways will no longer be allowed to remain simply because their owners are politically connected or influential.

Sources

  • Punch — Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding.
  • TheCable — Wike orders demolition of houses blocking waterways in Abuja.
  • The Guardian Nigeria — Wike orders demolition of houses built on Abuja water channels.
  • Daily Trust — Wike orders removal of houses built on waterways.
  • TV360 Nigeria — Demolition begins in Abuja’s Maitama over waterway encroachment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *