Awujale Stool: Ruling House Petitions Abiodun Over Breakaway Faction!

Reported by Weng Patrick Atokor | Journalist at Weng Global

The Fusengbuwa Ruling House of Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State, has petitioned Governor Dapo Abiodun over an emerging faction within the family, asking the state government not to recognise the group in matters relating to the selection of the next Awujale of Ijebuland.

The petition, dated August 17, 2026, comes amid a prolonged dispute within the ruling house over the process for filling the vacant traditional stool, which became vacant following the death of the late Awujale, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona, in July 2025.

The Fusengbuwa Ruling House is next in the established rotation to produce the new Awujale. However, disagreements over the nomination process, leadership of the ruling house and allegations of irregularities have complicated the succession process.

According to the petition, signed by the Chairman of the ruling house, Otunba Abdul Lateef Owoyemi; Deputy Chairman, Otunba Oladokun Ajidagba; Vice Chairman, Prof. Fassy Yusuf; and General Secretary, Pastor Bola Salami, the family wants Governor Abiodun to reject what it described as an “illegal and lawless group.”

Ruling house raises alarm over faction

The petitioners alleged that the faction was led by Adeleke Adeyemi, whom they said previously belonged to the Ajidagba Unit of the ruling house.

The Ajidagba Unit is one of three units that participated in the nomination exercise for candidates for the vacant Awujale stool.

The leadership accused Adeyemi and his associates of engaging in activities capable of creating division within the family and challenging the authority of the recognised leadership.

Among the issues raised was the alleged establishment of a fact-finding committee involving Adeyemi and Ridwan Oduneye.

The petitioners claimed that the committee was set up in a manner that could damage the reputation of some senior members of the ruling house.

They further alleged that the committee’s activities violated a subsisting judgment of the Ijebu-Ode High Court, which they said restricted one unit of the ruling house from interfering in the affairs of another.

The petition also accused the breakaway group of attempting to remove the three recognised Olori Ebis — Owoyemi, Ajidagba and Yusuf — who, according to the petitioners, played important roles in the nomination process.

Call to lift suspension on Awujale selection

Beyond seeking recognition for its leadership, the Fusengbuwa Ruling House appealed to Governor Abiodun to lift the suspension placed on the Awujale selection process.

The family argued that the people of Ijebuland deserved to have a new traditional ruler and urged the governor to allow the kingmakers to resume their responsibilities.

The succession process has remained stalled for months, with the Ogun State Government previously intervening amid petitions and complaints surrounding the exercise.

Earlier in 2026, the ruling house also appealed to the governor to end the suspension and allow the process to continue. Reports indicated that the government had halted the exercise following concerns about procedural issues and multiple petitions.

The prolonged delay has increased pressure on stakeholders to resolve the disagreements and ensure that the next Awujale is selected through a process that commands legitimacy among the relevant families and kingmakers.

Dispute over leadership

The latest petition is connected to an earlier internal dispute that resulted in claims that three senior leaders of the ruling house had been removed.

On August 9, members of a faction announced the removal of Owoyemi, Yusuf and Ajidagba following the submission of a report by a nine-member fact-finding committee.

The committee had investigated allegations including financial inducement, document manipulation and alleged lack of due process in the Awujale selection exercise.

The committee recommended that the three leaders step aside, after which the family meeting reportedly adopted the recommendation.

However, the affected leaders rejected the allegations and described the action as illegitimate.

The disagreement has therefore developed beyond the question of individual candidates into a broader contest over who has the authority to speak and act on behalf of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House.

Breakaway faction rejects allegations

Reacting to the petition, Ridwan Oduneye rejected the allegations made against the group.

Oduneye said the faction was not attempting to interfere with the Awujale selection process but was instead seeking to restructure the ruling house.

According to him, the matter should not be presented as an attempt to undermine the succession exercise or create confusion within Ijebuland.

He also maintained that the group stood by the decisions reached during its family meeting and welcomed the possibility of legal proceedings to determine the facts surrounding the dispute.

The conflicting positions mean that the Ogun State Government could face further pressure to determine how to handle competing claims of legitimacy within the ruling house while ensuring that the succession process remains consistent with the applicable chieftaincy rules and traditions.

Succession process already faced controversies

The current dispute is the latest development in a succession process that has faced several controversies since the death of Oba Adetona.

The number of aspirants from the Fusengbuwa Ruling House reportedly rose to 95, comprising 94 princes and one princess, after the nomination process was opened to more members following government intervention.

The nomination process has also generated disputes over eligibility, nomination procedures and the participation of some individuals claiming membership of the ruling house.

In January, Fuji musician Wasiu Ayinde, popularly known as KWAM 1, petitioned the Ogun State Government after alleging that he had been excluded from the nomination process. The ruling house rejected his claim of membership and maintained that he was not qualified to contest the stool.

These earlier disputes, coupled with the current internal disagreement, have made the selection of the next Awujale a closely watched traditional and political issue in Ogun State.

What happens next?

The latest petition places the Ogun State Government in a delicate position.

Governor Abiodun must balance the competing claims while ensuring that any decision concerning the selection process is consistent with the relevant chieftaincy law, established tradition and legitimate family procedures.

The Fusengbuwa Ruling House wants the government to reject the breakaway faction and allow the recognised leadership and kingmakers to continue the process.

The opposing faction, however, insists that its concerns relate primarily to restructuring and accountability within the family.

The outcome of the dispute could determine how quickly the long-delayed selection process resumes and whether the various factions can reach an acceptable settlement without prolonged litigation.

For Ijebuland, the stakes extend beyond the identity of the next monarch. The Awujale institution is a major symbol of Ijebu history, culture and traditional authority.

Resolving the disagreement peacefully and transparently will therefore be important for preserving confidence in the succession process and ensuring that the eventual emergence of the next Awujale is broadly accepted.

Sources: Punch, Channels Television, The Nation, Arise News, Tribune Online and the National Library of Nigeria.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *