Reported by Weng Patrick Atokor | journalist at Weng Global
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has successfully recovered control of its official X account after it was compromised in an attempted cyberattack, bringing an end to a security breach that temporarily disrupted one of the Nigerian military’s major channels of public communication.
The military authorities confirmed the recovery after the official account became the target of unauthorised access. The development had raised concerns among members of the public because information posted through the verified account could potentially be mistaken for official military communication.
The DHQ announced the recovery in a brief message posted on the account on Monday, reassuring followers that the platform was back under its control.
“We’re back. Thank you for your patience and continued support,” the military said in the message, according to reports by Punch.
The recovery followed an earlier warning from the Defence Headquarters that its official X account had been compromised and that suspicious information appearing on the platform should not be trusted.
How the cyberattack unfolded
The incident came to public attention after the Defence Headquarters detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X handle.
In a statement issued by the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, the military described the incident as a cybersecurity matter and said technical measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.
The DHQ also advised members of the public, the media and other stakeholders to disregard suspicious or unauthorised content that might appear on the account while efforts were underway to regain full control.
Reports indicated that the account had been used to publish content that was not authorised by the Defence Headquarters. Premium Times reported that the account was flooded with cryptocurrency-related posts after the compromise.
The incident demonstrated the risks government institutions face when official digital platforms are targeted by cybercriminals.
For an organisation such as the Defence Headquarters, which regularly uses social media to communicate information about military operations, security developments and official activities, the integrity of its online platforms is particularly important.
DHQ moves to restore confidence
Following the compromise, the military acted to regain control of the account and prevent further unauthorised activity.
The successful recovery means the Defence Headquarters can once again use its official X platform as a trusted channel for communicating with Nigerians and other stakeholders.
The development is also significant because social media has become an important component of government and military communication.
Instead of relying solely on traditional press briefings and statements, security agencies increasingly use platforms such as X to distribute updates quickly, respond to emerging situations and communicate directly with the public.
However, the incident also highlights the danger associated with relying heavily on digital communication without strong cybersecurity protections.
A compromised official account can be used to circulate false information, impersonate officials, manipulate public opinion or create confusion during sensitive security situations.
Public warned against fake information
During the period when the account was compromised, the Defence Headquarters urged Nigerians to exercise caution and avoid relying on suspicious information posted through the affected handle.
The military’s warning was important because an official social media account carries significant credibility. Members of the public may assume that anything published from such an account has been approved by the relevant authority.
The DHQ therefore encouraged people to depend on verified communication channels when seeking information about military activities.
The Sun also reported that the Defence Headquarters warned the public against relying on suspicious content following the attempted cyberattack.
The incident demonstrates why members of the public should verify sensitive information before sharing it, particularly when the information concerns national security, military operations or public safety.
Why the breach matters
The hacking of a military institution’s social media account goes beyond the loss of access to a digital platform.
Official social media accounts have become part of the communication infrastructure of modern institutions. When such an account is compromised, the consequences can include misinformation, reputational damage and public confusion.
For the Defence Headquarters, the potential consequences are even more serious because information about military operations can be sensitive.
A false announcement appearing on a verified military account could potentially influence public reactions, affect ongoing operations or create unnecessary tension.
The incident therefore reinforces the need for government agencies to treat social media security as part of broader national cybersecurity.
The Defence Headquarters has previously recognised the importance of social media in military communication. Its social media policy outlines the controlled use of social platforms within the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
Lessons for government institutions
The incident is likely to renew discussions about cybersecurity practices within government institutions.
Government agencies increasingly depend on digital platforms to communicate with citizens. This makes their online accounts attractive targets for hackers seeking to spread false information or exploit public trust.
Institutions need to ensure that official accounts are protected with strong passwords, multi-factor authentication, secure recovery systems and carefully controlled administrative access.
Personnel responsible for managing official accounts must also be trained to recognise phishing attempts and other techniques commonly used by cybercriminals to obtain account credentials.
The DHQ incident demonstrates that cybersecurity is not only a technical issue. It is also a matter of public trust.
When Nigerians receive information from an official government account, they expect that information to be authentic. Protecting that trust requires institutions to secure their digital communication channels as carefully as they protect their physical facilities.
Recovery restores official communication
With the account now recovered, the Defence Headquarters is expected to resume normal communication through the platform.
The successful recovery also provides reassurance to followers who may have been uncertain about which information from the account could be trusted during the period of compromise.
The military’s “We’re back” message signals that control has been restored and that the account is once again available for official communication.
Nevertheless, the incident serves as a reminder that cyber threats can affect even high-profile government institutions.
As Nigeria continues to expand its use of digital technology, protecting official online platforms will remain an important part of national security and public communication.
For citizens, the key lesson is equally important: information posted online should not automatically be considered genuine simply because it appears on a familiar account.
During cyber incidents, Nigerians should rely on verified announcements from official government channels and reputable news organisations before accepting or sharing sensitive information.
The Defence Headquarters’ recovery of its X account therefore closes the immediate chapter of the incident, but the broader cybersecurity challenge remains.
The episode highlights the growing importance of securing Nigeria’s digital communication infrastructure and ensuring that official platforms remain reliable sources of information for the public.
Sources
- Punch Newspaper
- Premium Times
- The Sun Nigeria
- Business Post Nigeria
- Defence Headquarters Nigeria